Otherwise referred to as LPPM or Low Pressure Die Casting, this process uses low pressure usually between 3-15 psi to apply pressure on a molten metal reservoir and to push this up into the mold cavity . This allows metal to not only fill the cavity and the contours of the casting shape but to also feed the shrinkage during the casting solidification process. A much higher quality and a more consistent casting is achieved, minimizing finishing operations and gate removal. Additional benefits include improved mechanical properties and the performance of the casting.
Courtesy of Kurtz Ersa Corporation | www.kurtzersa.com
Advantages of Low Pressure Permanent Mold
- Superior Mechanical Properties
- Higher internal quality casting (ability to maintain a higher quality level in x-ray)
- Able to maintain a more repeatable and quality process (fully automated) resulting in a more consistent casting
- Improved quality results in a sound and Pressure Tight/Leak Tight application
- Improved grain structure for best machining results
- Low risk of gas picked up during a constant fill of the mold
- Production flow improvement with increased yield
- Minimized secondary operations
- Ability to manufacture a more intricate casting design with complex casting detail as the fill is under constant pressure.
Le Sueur Incorporated has been a leader in the industry providing top quality castings in Permanent Mold since the 1950’s. Having the ability to provide Gravity Fill, Tilt Pour, Semi Permanent Mold and Low Pressure castings, LSI can work with the correct process for the part and application. Low Pressure has been a cornerstone at LSI and our vast engineering expertise has allowed us to be one of the very best in providing castings for pressure tight and leak tight applications. LSI has the controls in place thru our NDT (Nondestructive Testing) applications such as X-Ray, Liquid Penetrant and Pressure Testing to assure a consistent and compliant part quality. Compliment that with our full service Metallurgical and Testing Lab (test bars, spectrometer and defect analysis) and Metrology Lab, our customers are assured of consistent quality that ensures confidence. LSI has the ability to pour many alloys in Low Pressure Permanent Mold, most commonly A356 and 356.
Le Sueur Incorporated is a leader in manufacturing dimensionally challenging, complex and pressure tight/leak tight castings. Early involvement is key. We would appreciate the opportunity to show you first hand our many capabilities offered at Le Sueur Incorporated.
Low Pressure Casting Applications
- Air Cylinders
- Aluminum Housings
- Aluminum Wheels
- Compressor Bodies
- Cooling Fins
- Electrical Boxes
- Electrical Transmission Equipment
- Fan Blades & Hubs
- Gear Boxes
- Gear Cases
- Hydraulic Cylinders
- Oil Pans
- Pressure Housings
- Pump Components
- Suspension Components
- Transmission Channel Plates
- Valve Bodies
- Valve Housings
- Wind Generation Equipment
Le Sueur Incorporated specializes in dimensionally complex, pressure tight aluminum castings and thermoplastic injection molded components. We offer complete in-house precision machining, finishing and assembly. Please contact us if you have a project to discuss!